Friday, October 18, 2013

It's a Cotton Pickin' Wool Folk Art Applique Pattern!


I love designing appliqued pieces in wool,
using some original ideas along with the more tradition patterns. . . .
always drawing from the inspiration around me.
 
And what's around me right now?
COTTON!
 
Fall for us is fields white with Cotton, ready for pickin'. . . .
well. . . .It's almost ready. . . .
 
 
I couldn't resist sketching a folk art piece one day this week,
 based on those white cotton bolls I see right out my window.
My intention was to stitch it up this winter. . . .but I couldn't wait. . . .
I found a few snippets of time during our busy week. . . .



Beginning by arranging the pieces and pinning. . .
 


 And ending with lots of button hole stitching and cotton embroidery embellishment.
 
Here's the pattern, if you'd like to give it a try.
Just print it out and enlarge or reduce to the size you desire.
 



 I truly love how the Cotton Boll applique turned out. . . .By layering the bolls,
it adds dimension to the piece. . . .I almost feel it's time to pick this cotton, too!
 
I think I'll add the square to the stack of wool folk art pieces that's been growing for the last couple of years. . . .One day, I'll stitch them together for a wool quilt. . .
 
Have I told you about my Delta quilt designs, based on the utility quilts
 I remember as a child in local farm homes?
One day soon. . . I will. . . .
You can bet on it!
 

Bye for now. . . .and. . . .
Have a Cotton Pickin' Great Weekend!