Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Change the Strip Size: Change the Rag Rug


It's been a while since I've given you any tips on Weaving Rag Rugs, hasn't it?
Life sometimes goes by too fast.
But, here I am now. . .with an answer to your many questions about strip widths.
 
There is no set width size for the strips, although we all have our preferences.
Did you know, though, that you can change the thickness of the rug by changing
the size of your strips?
 
I needed some thinner mug rugs.
I've long used 3/4" strips for the warp to cut down on the thickness.
I thought I'd try 3/4" strips for the weft, too.
It made a much tighter weave, as well as a rug that's not so thick.
 
I tried to take a close shot for you. . .with no luck. . .
maybe this won't be too blurry. . .
 

Can you see the difference in the two?
The top mug rug is thinner than the one below.
(Sorry for the blur)

I like the closer weave, though I must warn you that it takes a little longer to weave
since you're not working with 1 1/2" strips that work up much faster.
 
It's a matter of preference. . .as well as the purpose of the rug.
I'm more than certain that I will make both sizes in the future.

"Vary the strip size and change the look of your rug"
 
 
I have another tip to share later this week. . .One I just happened across.
Til Then. . .
Happy Rag Rugging!